VOLUNTEER AS A TUTOR
Dedicated tutors are essential in our mission of adult literacy. We have opportunities for both individual tutoring and small group tutoring.
Be dependable and prompt
Be able to relate well to a variety of people
Must be non-discriminatory and inclusive
Have good reading and writing skills
Flexible and friendly
Patient and encouraging
Past educational background is helpful but not required.
SMALL GROUP TUTORING
Our Small Group Tutoring Program meets twice a week for 9 weeks. These classes are held at the library and are led by two co-tutors. This setup allows tutors to have a wider impact - there are typically 4 learners to 1 tutor.
- 9 week class, classes meet twice a week for 1 hour (2 hours/week)
- Led by two tutors - you and a buddy
- 4 learners to 1 tutor
- Lesson plans are created for you
- No teaching experience required
- Flexible time commitment: minimum of 2 week (4 hours), maximum of 9 weeks (18 hours)
Individual tutors meet with their learners once a week - typically 1 to 1 and a half hours a week in a public location like the library.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark."